As Christmas is just round the corner I thought I would bake some gingerbread cupcakes. Especially as everyone loves gingerbread at Christmas time. And I just love to bake. Also check out my youtube channel hannahxoxoblog. I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
• 75g unsalted butter, softened
• 100g caster sugar
• 125ml black treacle
• 1 large egg
• 1 large egg yolk
• 175g plain flour
• 1 tbsp cocoa powder
• 1 1/4 tsp found ginger
• 1tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground allspice
• 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 125ml hot milk
• cupcake cases
• gingerbread sprinkles
Ingredients for Buttercream Icing:
• 240g butter, softened
• 400g icing sugar, sieved
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 4 tbsp milk
1. Pre-heat oven to 175°C / 350°F / Gas mark 4
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Then add the treacle, egg and egg yolk and mix.
4. In a separate bowl, sieve in the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture and stir until combined.
6. Carefully heat up the milk but be careful not to boil it, and the dissolve in the baking soda. Then add to the other mixture.
7. Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases and spoon the batter evenly into the cases. Bake for 20 minutes or until slightly springy to the touch.
8. While the cupcakes are cooling, you can make the buttercream: Cream the butter in a large bowl until smooth gradually adding the icing sugar and continue to cream until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and milk, and cream until combined.
9. Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. And pipe on the buttercream and top with gingerbread sprinkles.